Pages

Monday 2 October 2017

Monkey Mind



Monday 25th September 2017

Lesson prepped, group profile written, feedback done for half the participants. ANOMALIES came out of the book press looking good. Few things I’ll have to move and some white space I want to fill with graphics, but it’s a great master copy to draw from for a contents list on the first one proper towards the end of the year. Washed some clothes in the sink and ate the last of the ham. Sat at the computer listening to The Smiths. Wasn’t fussed at school, but quite like them now. Should get an early night and start sharp tomorrow. 10.55 pm.


Tuesday 26th September 2017

Left my cash card in an ATM this morning. Didn’t realise until I was about to board the Durham bus and noticed it missing from my wallet. Dashed back to the bank and stood ages waiting to speak to staff. Luckily I got it back. Another good turn out for the Waddy writing course today. National Poetry Day ‘Freedom’ stuff. Cut-up word bank, Invictus poem, freewriting… Tonight I keyed in notes and listened to Ruby Throat, featuring Katie Jane Garside – great stuff. No work on books. Watched 1973 Bukowski documentary. Much as I like his stuff, don’t think I’d have lasted long in his company. 11.09 pm.


Wednesday 27th September 2017

Nice little group at Appletree today. Bit of univocalism, take three nouns, more ULIPO stuff. Me and Jenni had awesome burgers of the carnivore and veggie variety, respectively, from the new range at eat4less. Checked out snazzy coloured Doc Martens in Schuh. DVDs and vinyl in HMV. Best Queen t-shirt I’ve seen in ages – vintage News of the World. Also Joker shirts, The Killing Joke film, new Satyricon album; and yet more Pistols books. Splendid night at Heaven and Hell themed Newcastle Literary Salon. Steve Palace had a mix of contrasting monologues, particularly liked the one about enjoying a stay down below. Canny set from Anne-Marie Quinn, including well observed piece about a busker. Richard Atkinson gave a highly engaging seated reading from his book ‘Two Full Stops from Gravity’. Fiction from James Anthony Tucker. Some strong rhythmical work from Susie McComb on open mic, pieces on Goth Festival and mortality from Jenni Pascoe. Juli Watson and Ian Waugh read well also. Benjamin Aaron MacLeod, in addition to being a brilliant host, closed the night with some hilarious cocktail vignettes from his forthcoming book about drinks. Definitely worth checking out. 10.40 pm.


Thursday 28th September 2017

Happy National Poetry Day! Theme of Freedom, so I opted to do my own thing. Didn’t get out of bed till after ten. By half past I found myself casually penning lines for a poem. Well, you have to really, don’t you. Just riffing on ‘I’m free’. Only aim was to make it positive. Started out in little three-line stanzas, kept adding to it throughout the day – in the house, on the street, in shops. Just a little bi-product of my day off. Finished twenty pages (eighty stanzas) around eleven tonight. Really chuffed to get out on the longboard after-dark. Went to the Leisure Centre carpark. Well-lit, not steep, but enough of a slope to get rolling and carve back and forth. Easy to keep momentum. In fact, I’ve kept momentum pretty well today. Ten to midnight and there’s a little pamphlet made. But I reckon I can print it better at Waddy. Felt good to turn it out in just over thirteen hours. Okay. Knackered. 11.53 pm.


Friday 29th September 2017

Taking the day off yesterday to be free and positive in my poetry has left me feeling really fucking aggravated today. Didn’t get half my work done. Pamphlet made last night is pretty lush, but I can’t get good repros of it until I get to a decent copier next week. Laser printer has been leaving shadow lines on the paper coz I pre-cut the pages smaller than A5 before I started writing. Scanned the whole thing, which allows me to print out a copy in under a minute, but the handwriting looks like a greyscale photograph; it doesn’t look like black gel ink. Need to make a good master copy in a decent machine next week. As for the poem, it’s a one take wonder and I’m not changing a fucking word of it. I’m hoping Poundland have more of the cherry red heavy duty card I used for the original cover. There was a pack of red card at Jula Crafts in Consett last week. If it’s still there on Monday I’ll get it. But would prefer the mottled cherry red.
   I treat yesterday like it was a holiday: favourite food, music, bikes and longboard. Out and about and a new little Talking Pen monograph made. Expected to get my Speakers’ Corner set worked out today, but will do it at Jen’s. I made a big long playlist of songs in hopes that some are suitable for possible inclusion on the Nova Radio NE show I’m appearing on next Tuesday evening as Wajid Hussain’s guest. A lot of the music I like is pretty grim. I tried to vary the styles: Tori Amos, Queen, Motorhead, Leonard Cohen, Nine Inch Nails, Spandau Ballet (!!!), Toyah, Adele, The Cult, Hanoi Rocks, Lou Reed, Adam and the Ants, Billy Joel, The Mission… Wonder which ones Wajid chooses to play.
   I’m on the X70 to Gateshead. Jenni is working over half the weekend so it’s best I go in tonight to see her. It’s creeping close on dusk. Bus stop at Flint Hill. Last night I left the house at twenty-past seven to ride the longboard and it was already dark. My watchstrap pin broke. I hate being without a watch. Didn’t have time to get it fixed today.
   Bus driver is shunting and slamming the brakes on, fiercely lurching. Really fucking annoying. Of course I’m just a whinge and couldn’t drive if hell had me so I should shut up, but still – the fucking price of the ticket…
   Anyway, best get more cheerful. Seems the X70 has a new route. One minute we were in Flint Hill. Now I don’t have a clue where we are. Have a feeling the driver doesn’t either. Fuck it. 6.55 pm.

PS – Jenni likes the new monograph.


Saturday 30th September 2017

Nice lie in this morning. A walk into town with Jenni for a sandwich. She went to work this afternoon and I went look for cardstock, a new watchstrap and Toyah 7-inch singles. Four-and-a-half hours later, me and Jenni had a drink in the Station Hotel then went for supplies. Jen cooked us a nice tea: leeks, mash, mushrooms and broccoli – steak pie for me, veggie sausages for her. Watched the poetry programmes: Auden on age of Anxiety then Contains Strong Language spoken word from Hull festival hosted by Simon Armitage. Good to see Zena Edwards, Kate Fox, Helen Mort amongst others - prime BBC2 Saturday night slot. Spicy Nik Naks, orange squash and a bit of Later with Jools Holland. 10.47 pm.


Sunday 1st October 2017

Jenni at work today so I got my breakfast, sorted some copy-ups for an ‘in-transit’ book project then came home. Was diverted near Tesco in Consett due to a fatal traffic accident. Helicopter just taking off as I was told no go… Had another big dinner like last night, then put together a gig set for next week’s Speakers’ Corner in York. Been checking updates on shock-rocker Marilyn Manson after he was crushed under a fallen stage prop. Nine dates postponed… Had a good few runs through my set. Ate chocolate. Ready for bed. 11.30 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment